Tuesday, January 12, 2010

3 Separate Thoughts

#1 Three Cheers for Conan O'Brien

I don't have television and don't usually know what's going on in the world around me, but I am aware of the screwy NBC prime time line-up and the subsequent hullabaloo it's created. They want to move The Tonight Show after the Jay Leno Show (which I can't believe is still on--it's not funny people!) and Conan thinks it will destroy the show, so he won't do it. I read his full statement, and I just have to say that I appreciate humble, funny celebrities that can get a point across without name calling or swearing or being basically spoiled and classless. I've always been a fan of Conan O'Brien and I think he is handling this disappointment with grace and wit. He'll always have a fan in me.

#2 In Defense of Diapers

Several people have mentioned how crazy I am to use cloth diapers. In all honesty, I love them. I don't think I'd use them with a newborn, because they are pooping all the time, but once the child is a little older and their BMs are more similar to adults', well, what's the big deal? Eve either pees, and I stick it into the pail, or she poops, which I put into the toilet, flush and then wash. She hasn't been using her diapers a long time, but she's definitely made some good messes and so far the diapers come out perfectly clean, smell perfectly fine, and we start over again. I don't use them when we go out or on trips. And I was concerned about the extra amount of water and soap and energy it takes the washing machine to wash them on a double cycle, but actually, it's a small load, I'm only supposed to use a quarter of detergent that I normally would, and one cycle is hot, the other cold. So really it equals out to one large warm load with less soap. The only problem is that I only have six. I need a dozen more!

#3 A Funny Primary Story

I teach the 7-8 year olds in Primary, the children's Sunday school at my church. We switched classes at the beginning of the year. Last year I had twin boys in my class that were difficult to work with. They came from a pretty unstable home and weren't real active and had a lot of attention problems. But by the end of the year they were living with a different parent in a much more active, stable home. I grew to love them despite our initial rocky start. They are very sweet, good boys.

After church on Sunday I was putting chairs away and they came up to me to say hi. I talked with them a few minutes and then Zach said "Jayden's growing a beard!" I said, "What?" And Jayden said "Yeah, I'm growing a mustache!" I refrained from laughing but smiled and said "Really? That's great! I love mustaches! They're cool!" He nodded in agreement and then said "Do you want to feel it?" I rubbed my finger under his nose--smooth and soft. "Wow," I said, " I can already feel it coming in. You'll have a mustache in no time." He was smiling as he walked away, and so was I.

2 comments:

Cassandra said...

#1: Ditto! I love Conan.
#2: Still gross, but I acknowledge and commend you for being environmentally friendly. :)
#3: Cute...I love little boys! My nephew Otto got a package of fake mustaches for Christmas so every time we skype he is wearing at least one!

Amelia said...

I have always wanted to try the reusable nappies... maybe next time.