Friday, February 5, 2010

I.L.L.L.L.I.B.D.I.W.I.T.B.M.L.?

I Love La Leche League International But Do I Want It To Be My Life?  That is the question.  I received a phone call last week from one of our local leaders encouraging me to think about becoming one myself.  I was quite flattered, and a part of me really thinks it would be fantastic.  I LOVE breastfeeding and think it is so very important to mother, baby, and the rest of the family.  I think I would be a good leader.  I love helping other women with breastfeeding, and recommend LLL to all my nursing mama friends.  But of course, becoming a leader is a lot of work, and it is all volunteer work.  Nothing wrong with that, but if I'm putting so much time and energy into something like this, I feel as though I should be doing something to help bring in an income.  

There are other factors too.  I know Eve was an exception to the rule, but while I love nursing her (still going strong there!) there was a lot of difficulty with it too, as any nursing mom knows.  And I'm not sure that I totally agree with all of LLL's stands.  I take what I like from the meetings and leave the rest.  So I don't know if I'd even qualify.  But this past year I've also toyed with the idea of becoming an actual lactation consultant and being an LLL leader would certainly help on the path towards that goal.  I don't know.  Part of me feels like this is the kick in the pants to actually start doing something.  Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.  I don't think Richie wants me to do it.  Mostly because I think he is uncomfortable with the amount of liberal boobness it would bring into the house.  But it's not really like that.  Both of the other LLL leaders are LDS moms.  So, there it is...what my mind wanders to these days...

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I totally feel you. You can be an advocate for breastfeeding without being a le leche league accolyte. I valued greatly the advice of many other breastfeeding mothers and will always try to advocate for others who struggle, because we ALL do! Interesting topic though Renee!

Sarah Sheen said...

Since when does Richie have a problem with "liberal boobness??"

Let your heart decide.