Monday, October 13, 2008

Snow Day and the Conquering Hero

Today I awoke to snow!
It has been blustery and stormy all weekend, and though it snowed both Saturday and Sunday, it was still a surprise to wake up and see nothing but white out the window. I am so grateful that our landlord believes in keeping a warm house!

Luckily, the weather is supposed to bounce back up into the 60s for the next few weeks. I am definitely not ready for winter, and not done with beautiful Autumn. Winter can wait a little while longer. I took this picture this morning from my front porch. I didn't quite get the effect of the snow like I wanted, but I live across the street from the Logan LDS Temple, and it was a particularly lovely view this morning with the bright sunlight and smooth snow lawn.

More importantly, I am happy to announce the results of the St. George Marathon! Richard not only reached his goal time, he smashed it to bits as he finished the race in 3:33! His time for the SLC marathon was 4:24, so he took off more than 50 minutes! And in pouring rain I might add! I was so excited for him, even though I wasn't prepared to take pictures and video-I thought I had another 10 minutes at least to get the camera ready. I wanted video of him actually crossing the finish line. Afterwards, Richie was only minimally sore for two days. He felt fine all last week. The real secret to his success is this: don't stretch before any runs, drink lots of carbonated beverages, get minimal sleep, and shave body hair into aerodynamic coiffitures, as seen below:

What a sexy Fu-Man-Chu! He was going to put his hair into a mohawk, but the rain prevented that from being successful. My mom got a really big kick out of the moustache. When she first saw him she choked on her lunch. But she recovered enough to snap this photo:

I'll leave this entry with some more images of the wet marathon. My parents and I did the "Mayor's Walk," which was the last 2.2 miles of the marathon course and ended at the finish line. Hopefully, the next marathon will be a Boston qualifier!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post has left me breathless at:
a) the sight of that gorgeous Utah snow, and
b) the thought of Richie running so dang fast.

p.s. If you had one wish for another of our friends to have an interweb log, who would it be? Presenting...
http://mrtandletterb.blogspot.com/

Renee said...

I feel impelled to make the following disclaimer:

My lovely wife did not consult me prior to posting the provocative pictures of me shaving my stunning, aerodynamic mustache. I apologize to those who are offended by my hairy paleness or are jealous of my schoolgirl physique. However, please keep reading this amazing blog as Renee derives much pleasure from sharing the dlightfully mundane happenings that fill our awesome lives.

Word.

Richie

Holly said...

All I can say is WOW. I am so proud to be related to Richard Daniel Peterson (and his mustache.) Another 30 years and he'll look just like the old man.